Associates assist our Angels in evaluating companies that apply for funding. Associates do not make investments and are not required to be accredited.
The goals of our Associates program are two-fold. The first is to give our network access to deep, expert domain knowledge as we evaluate companies in specific product-market segments. The second is increase the experience of our Associates in assessing early-stage, impact startup companies.
We look for the following in an Associate:
- You have at least five years of work experience (ten years of experience is preferable)
- You have had some exposure to early-stage start-up companies
- You care deeply about social impact
We strive to have a team of Associates that reflects the rich diversity of the larger community.
We limit to number of Associates to one-third the number of Angel investors, and often find it necessary to maintain a wait list of Associate applicants.
If you live outside of Austin or Dallas/Ft. Worth, you can virtually attend our down-selection calls and deal memo working calls (which have always been via zoom) and also our in-person quarterly pitch events (when they re-start in person) which are live cast over zoom.
In addition to Associates, the network maintains a list of industry experts that we may consult with from time-to-time as we evaluate companies and funding opportunities,
The benefits of being an Associate include:
- Associates have the opportunity to learn about a wide variety of young social-impact start-up companies located in Austin and in the rest of the country.
- Associates get to meet and build relationships with impact start-ups, and Austin impact investors and other Associates.
- Associates get to learn about early-stage companies and early-stage investing.
Associate activities include:
- Assisting in the down-selection process that identifies the companies that will present at the quarterly pitch events.
- Attending and participating in the quarterly pitch events
- Assisting in due-diligence for companies late in the funding evaluation process
- Optionally coaching companies in your area of expertise
- There is no cost to become an Associate.
- Maintaining Associate status requires on-going, active participation as an Associate as described in the Associate ApplicationAssociate Application and Survey Form 2020-11-09.
- Your first six-months as an Associate is a probationary period. After that period, we will have a discussion about continuing the relationship.