Austin Social-impact Entrepreneurial Ecosystem
Download the Austin-Social-Impact Entrepreneurship-Ecosystem chart.
A dynamic and vibrant ecosystem has emerged in Austin for promoting social good. Below is a list of some of the Austin organizations working together to make the world a better place to live. If your Austin-based social-impact organization would like to be added to this list, please email Bob.Bridge@SWANImpact.org.
- Austin Community Foundation: has established a large social-impact fund focused on non-profits that benefit central Texas
- Austin Foodshed investors: facilitates impact investing for Local Sustainable Food Companies in Austin Texas
- Center for Social innovation: The Center for Social Innovation is a home for Austin’s social innovation ecosystem. Nonprofits, social enterprises, city innovation leaders and their neighbors gather and collaborate in the space.
- City of Austin: has a social innovation initiative
- Conscious Capitalism Austin: provides education & events for CEOs of companies both large and small
- Diversity Fund: has launched a crowdsourcing platform to help fund minority-owned small businesses (including women, ethnic, LGBTQ, veteran’s, disabled, etc)
- DivInc: a pre-accelerator that operate a 12-week program for under-represented tech founders
- Impact Hub Austin: provides co-work space, education, and events for social-impact start-ups. Additionally, it periodically runs topical accelerator programs, for example, the Affordable Housing Accelerator.
- LevelUp Institute: Accelerator empowering the next generation of diverse entrepreneurs; training and fostering first-generation college students to become tech social entrepreneurs
- Mission Capital: runs a social enterprise accelerator and provides business growth and related consulting, training, and other services to area nonprofits, and is also the local chapter of Social Venture Partners, a venture philanthropy, and impact investing network more than 100 individuals strong in Austin.
- SocialGood.us: provides events and education including the Social Innovators Meetup group
- St. Edward’s University: driven by the university’s social justice mission, St. Edward’s is a driving force in Austin’s social impact community
- Tarmac TX: a non-profit, equity-free accelerator program that fosters tech solutions addressing social and environmental issues in Austin’s growing social innovation ecosystem. Tarmac TX equips social entrepreneurs with the necessary skill set and connections and helps them access funding to reach their intended impact. Tarmac TX is sponsored by 3M and resides at Relay Coworking – as part of the Center for Social Innovation.
- Tech Stars Impact: Backs for-profit, mission-driven founders building tech to solve social & environmental problems. The program is based in Austin, an emerging leader in bridging tech & social innovation. The fund is backed by notable LPs Morgan Stanley Investment Management’s AIP Private Markets Team & Impact America Fund.
- True Wealth Ventures is an early-stage venture capital fund investing in women-led companies in the high-growth, acquisitive markets of sustainable consumer and consumer health where women are driving the vast majority of purchase decisions.
- University of Texas: UT has a number of social entrepreneurial activities including the McCombs Business School’s Center for Social Innovation and the Social Entrepreneurship Learning Lab Fellowship Program for undergraduates.
- Un.Incubator: At the Un.Inc we believe the most uniquely qualified changemakers grow up with adversity, often feeling like misfits in the cultures they travel in. Through our 12-week cohort program we provide changemakers with the safe space they need to identify the struggles that drive their desire for change, and the resources to create sustainable change-making businesses.