A Good Place to Start
Please download and read the Kapor Capital Investment Social Impact-Report which describes the financial results achieved by one of the most active social-impact investors.
A Unique Opportunity
What makes the Southwest Angel Network unique is that we are one of just a handful of angel networks in the US with a focus solely on social and environmental impact, on doing good, and on making the world a better place.
We see deal flow from impact companies from across the US, and have angel members from across the US.
We show our impact angels amazing social and environmental good companies.
Additionally, our network is focused on providing funding to both under-represented founders and better-represented founders. Half of our investments to date have been made to companies with a under-represented, C-level co-founder. Furthermore, we strive to have a team of Angels that reflects the rich diversity of the larger community.
Why Become an Impact Angel?
The answer can be as simple as just one of the following:
- You like the potential for making a financial return while also giving back.
- You are tired of all the divisiveness and negativity that surrounds us and would like something positive to focus on.
- You enjoy meeting and helping young companies, hearing about their plans and letting them benefit from your experience.
- You enjoy connecting socially with like-minded investors.
- You would enjoy being in an angel network that is not just about technology. Most of our companies employ technology, but their missions are driven by a desire to address significant societal challenges.
- You are looking for a sustainable, giving-back approach, which is different from responding to annual donation requests.
For more information, please see “New Angels Questions and Answers?“
Getting comfortable with the idea of making angel investments
We understand that you may be new to angel investing or the world of start-up companies. The good news is that you may start participating in our network in an observational mode, partaking of our educational programs, and learning from experienced angels. You can see how we evaluate company applicants and how we perform due diligence. You can learn about the parameters that are the best indicators of a company’s future success. When you have mastered that you can consider starting to make small investments. As your confidence and experience grow you can consider making larger investments.
As an impact angel, you:
- Can help early-stage companies mature their plans and get ready to apply to the Southwest Angel Network
- Are encouraged to take an active role in vetting companies prior to formal pitch programs and to assist in due diligence
- Are encouraged to mentor companies in which they have invested
- Make an annual donation of $1,600 to the network, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. The annual fee is $1,000 if you live outside the Austin metropolitan area.
- If you live outside of Austin, you can virtually attend our down-selection calls and deal memo working calls (which have always been via zoom) and also our in-person quarterly pitch events (when they re-start in person) which are live cast over zoom.
- Consider using one of two investment approaches: (1) making $25,000 investment in companies that appeal to you, or (2) making investments in 10 companies over three years for a total of cost of $50,000. In either case, investments are an expectation and not a contractual obligation.
- Can help by recruiting two of like-minded friends to become angel members
- All investment decisions are made by individual investors.
- In the United States, for an individual to be considered an accredited investor, they must have a net worth of at least one million US dollars, excluding the value of their primary residence or have income at least $200,000 each year for the last two years (or $300,000 together with their spouse if married) and have the expectation to make the same amount this year.
- Existing angels in our network who recruit a new angel will get a 50% credit toward a future 12-month renewal.
- The Southwest Angel Network is a member of the Angel Capital Association.
If you would like to learn about our educational programs or take a no-obligation test drive by attending one of our quarterly evening pitch events, please contact me at bob.bridge@SWANImpact.org or (512) 658-2240.