About becoming an Angel
A Unique Opportunity
Austin, Texas provides wonderful opportunities for angel investors to get involved with the start-up community. There is CTAN, the Capital Factory, Tech Stars and other groups too numerous to mention here.
What makes the Southwest Angel Network unique is that we are one of just a handful of angel networks in the US with a focus on social impact, on doing good, and on making the world a better place.
And we see deal flow from social-impact companies from all across the US, and occasionally from Europe. We show our angels amazing social-good companies.
Why Become an Angel? The answer can be as simple as just one of the following:
- You like the potential for making a financial return while also giving back.
- You are tired of all the divisiveness and negativity that surrounds us and would like something positive to focus on.
- You enjoy meeting and helping young companies, hearing about their plans and letting them benefit from your experience.
- You enjoy connecting socially with like-minded investors.
- You would enjoy being in an angel network that is not just about technology. Most of our companies employ technology, but their missions are driven by a desire to address significant societal challenges.
- You are looking for a sustainable, giving-back approach, which is different from responding to annual donation requests.
For more information, please see “Not Sure About Being an Angel?”
Take a Test Drive
If you would like to take a no-obligation test drive by attending one of our quarterly evening pitch events, please contact Bob Bridge, Executive Director and say the magic words to Bob, “I am accredited and am considering becoming an angel investor”. Bob can be reached at bob.bridge@SWANImpact.org or (512) 658-2240.
Southwest Angel Network members:
- Can help early-stage companies mature their plans and get ready to apply to the Southwest Angel Network
- Are encouraged to take an active role in vetting companies prior to formal pitch programs and to assist in due diligence
- Are encouraged to mentor companies in which they have invested
- Make an annual donation of $1,500 to the network, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. The annual fee is $1,000 if you will attend our dinner pitch events (just want to see deal flow) or if you live outside the Austin metropolitan area.
- Consider using one of two investment approaches: (1) making $25,000 investment in companies that appeal to you, or (2) making investments in 10 companies over three years for a total of cost of $50,000. In either case, investments are an expectation and not a contractual obligation.
- Can help by recruiting two of like-minded friends to become angel members
- All investment decisions are made by individual investors.
- In the United States, for an individual to be considered an accredited investor, they must have a net worth of at least one million US dollars, excluding the value of their primary residence or have income at least $200,000 each year for the last two years (or $300,000 together with their spouse if married) and have the expectation to make the same amount this year.
- Existing angels in our network who recruit a new angel will get a $1,000 credit toward a future renewal.
- The Southwest Angel Network is a member of the Angel Capital Association.
Sign up for our Email Newsletter
We respect your privacy. Your information will not be shared with others.