The Southwest Angel Network is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Texas corporation with an educational focus.
Educational activities have included the following:
- May 25 – Angel Network leadership spoke at the social-impact accelerator TarmacTX on the topic of Social-impact Fundraising
- May 23 – Angel Network leadership taught a class at Tech Ranch on “Raising Investments from Angels and VCs”
- May 12 – Angel Network leadership served on a panel at the Association of Texas Angel Networks conference. The panel discussed “Mentoring Entrepreneurs: the other side of angel investing”.
- May 2 – Angel Network leadership spoke to the Small Business Festival on the topic of Fundraising
- April 7 – Angel Network leadership participated in Start-up Mentoring Madness at the UT McCombs School of Business
- During February and March, members of the Southwest Angel Network coached Akins High School teams that participated in the Start Up Superstars Entrepreneur competition. The competition was organized by the Greater Austin Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.
- February 28 – Angel Network leadership taught a class at Tech Ranch on “Raising Investments from Angels and VCs”
- Throughout the year, the Southwest Angel Network supported two University of Texas MBA PhD candidates as they worked on their research, respectively, on the creation of angel networks, and on for-profit social-impact companies. The students attended our meeting and we provided extensive background information on the operation of the network.
- September 22 through November 17 – Angel Network leadership organized and helped teach an 11-week class on social entrepreneurship for aspiring founders of social-good companies
- October 20 – Angel Network leadership served on a panel at Angel Investing, which was held at the Capital Factory
- October 17 – Angel Network leadership taught a class at Tech Ranch on “Raising Investments from Angels and VCs”
- October 5 – Angel network leadership participated in a company-investor speed-dating program at Galvanize Austin
- September 28 – Angel Network leadership participated on a panel discussion, “How to fund your social impact venture. What comes first? Impact or Investment?” organized by Austin+SocialGood
- September 22- Nov 9, 2016 – Angel Network leadership organized and help teach a nine-week class on social entrepreneurship. The goal of the 2016 Workshop is to educate and prepare social entrepreneurs who are at an early stage of thinking about launching a new social good venture (for-profit company or non-profit), and who have not yet made a decision to quit their day job to start the new enterprise.
- Sept. 22, 2016 – Angel Network leadership coached start-up companies at the Social Impact Epic Office Hours at the Capital Factory
- Sept. 7, 2016 – The Angel Network participated in an educational event at the University of Texas School of Business, “Intro to the UT & Austin Startup Ecosystem event”
- July 26, 2016 – Angel Network leadership taught class at the TarmacTX accelerator on “Fund Raising”
- May 25, 2016 – Angel Network leadership taught class at Ed Tech meetup at Capital Factory on “Raising Investments from Angels and VCs”
- May 23, 2016 – Angel Network leadership taught class at Tech Ranch on “Raising Investments from Angels and VCs”
- May 19, 2016 – At angel meeting, accountants gave a lecture on IRS Tax Rules 1244.
- April 7, 2016 – Angel network leadership organized and conducted a program held at St. Edward’s University, entitled “Maybe “keeping Austin weird” is not a big enough vision for Austin!” The sub-title was “Wouldn’t it be grand if Austin were seen as a role model for developing businesses with a social conscience?” This panel event brought together some of the most active leaders from Austin’s diverse and flourishing social entrepreneurship community to hear their vision, successes, and the challenges they face. Also featured were some of Austin’s best and brightest social-impact start-up teams, who showcased their companies in the foyer.
- February 22, 2016 – Angel Network leadership talk class at Tech Ranch on “Raising Investments from Angels and VCs”
- February 16, 2016 – Angel Network leadership taught class on UT Graduate Engineering Class on entrepreneurship on topic “Market Research and Product validation”.
- January 25, 2016 – Angel Network leadership called and led Meetup meeting focused on Social Impact investing
- November 18, 2015 – Angel Network leadership taught class at Urban Co-Lab on “What is an Angel Network, and How to Raise Funding”