Download the Austin-Social-Entrepreneurship-Ecosystem chart.
A dynamic and vibrant ecosystem has emerged in Austin for promoting social good. Below is a list of some of the Austin organizations working together to make the world a better place to live. If your Austin-based social-impact organization would like to be added to this list, please email Bob.Bridge@SWANImpact.org.
- Austin Community Foundation: has established a large social-impact fund focused on non-profits that benefit central Texas
- Austin Foodshed investors: facilitates impact investing for Local Sustainable Food Companies in Austin Texas
- Austin Social Good: provides events and education including the Social Innovators Meetup group
- City of Austin: has a social innovation initiative
- Conscious Capitalism Austin: provides education & events for CEOs of companies both large and small
- Diversity Fund: has launched a crowdsourcing platform to help fund minority-owned small businesses (including women, ethnic, LGBTQ, veteran’s, disabled, etc)
- DivInc: a pre-accelerator that operate a 12-week program for under-represented tech founders
- Impact Hub Austin: provides co-work space, education, and events for social-impact start-ups. Additionally, it periodically runs topical accelerator programs, for example, the Affordable Housing Accelerator.
- Incubator for innovation and Impact: this Concordia University incubator enables entrepreneurs to discover and execute business practices that positively impact local and global communities
- LevelUp Institute: Accelerator empowering the next generation of diverse entrepreneurs; training and fostering first-generation college students to become tech social entrepreneurs
- Mission Capital: runs a social enterprise accelerator and provides business growth and related consulting, training, and other services to area nonprofits, and is also the local chapter of Social Venture Partners, a venture philanthropy, and impact investing network more than 100 individuals strong in Austin.
- Notley: In the spring of 2018, Notley will open the Center for Social Innovation, a home for Austin’s social innovation ecosystem. Nonprofits, social enterprises, city innovation leaders and their neighbors will gather and collaborate in the space.
- Sputnik: an accelerator starting in Oct 2017 supported by the Linden Venture Fund with a special interest in education, agriculture, biotech, big data and supporting families
- St. Edward’s University: driven by the university’s social justice mission, St. Edward’s is a driving force in Austin’s social impact community
- Tarmac TX: runs an accelerator that fosters technology-based solutions addressing social, environmental and urban issues. Tarmac TX has been developed in partnership with 3M and is hosted at Tech Ranch.
- Tech Stars Impact: Backs for-profit, mission-driven founders building tech to solve social & environmental problems. The program is based in Austin, an emerging leader in bridging tech & social innovation. The fund is backed by notable LPs Morgan Stanley Investment Management’s AIP Private Markets Team & Impact America Fund.
- True Wealth Ventures is an early-stage venture capital fund investing in women-led companies in the high-growth, acquisitive markets of sustainable consumer and consumer health where women are driving the vast majority of purchase decisions.
- University of Texas: UT has a number of social entrepreneurial activities including the McCombs Business School’s Center for Social Innovation and the Social Entrepreneurship Learning Lab Fellowship Program for undergraduates.
- Un.Incubator: At the Un.Inc we believe the most uniquely qualified changemakers grow up with adversity, often feeling like misfits in the cultures they travel in. Through our 12-week cohort program we provide changemakers with the safe space they need to identify the struggles that drive their desire for change, and the resources to create sustainable change-making businesses.